Join PayPal, Venmo, and Braintree for a 24 hr hackathon to solve financial empowerment at our annual diversity hackathon. No experience required!
Join PayPal, Venmo, and Braintree for a 24-hour Hackathon to solve challenges around financial inclusion!
This year, we are bringing together college students from the Greater Chicago area for a chance to:
- Gain new skills through projects and workshops
- Learn about PayPal, Venmo & Braintree
- Network with leaders in Financial Technology
- Find out about our career opportunities for 2020
- Win great prizes
Cool swag and yummy food is provided! All experience and levels welcome!
Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal, Inc. is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy.
Click here to learn more about PayPal, Inc. and our career opportunities.
Doors will open at 7:00 PM and the first 100 participants through the door will participate. Mentors will be available to guide you throughout the event while you hack through the night.
- 7:00 PM Check-In, Team assignments and ice breakers
- 8:30 PM Event Kick-Off and Challenges Announced
- 9:00 PM Teams Formed & Finalized
- 9:30 PM Hacking Begins! Get Your Hack On.
- 11:00 PM All About Crypto (Optional Workshop)
- 11:30 PM Virtual Reality Open Brainstorm (Optional Workshop)
- 12:00 AM Mid-Night Snacks, Hacking, and Games.
- 8:00 AM Breakfast
- 9:00 AM Resume Overview & Review Office Hours Begin (Optional)
- 10:00 AM Pitch Tips Workshop (Optional)
- 11:30 AM Code check into GitHub due!
- 12:00 PM Lunch
- 12:30 PM All submissions via DevPost due!
- 1:00 PM Judging begins via science fair style
- 2:00 PM Resume Review Office Hours End (Optional)
- 3-3:30 PM Top 5 Presentation Pitches to attendees
- 4-4:30pm Winners Announced, Award Ceremony
The Hackathon is open only to participants /team of participants who are:
- At least 18 years old at the day of the event
- Enrolled full-time at a college or university in the Chicago, Illinois metropolitan area
- Teams are limited to 5 members maximum
All members of a participant team must meet all eligibility requirements or the participant’s team will be disqualified.
To be considered for prize selection in this hackathon you must submit the following content:
- Short description of your idea
- Category of your submission
- First and Last names of all your team members
- Link to your current codebase via GitHub
- 1-2 minute video demo demonstrating your idea
All content must be submitted by 11:30am CT on Saturday, October 12, 2019
How to enter
To enter the Competition, you must complete the following steps:
- Sign up for PayPal Hack-Chicago on Yello: Prior to the start of the Competition and no later than 12:00AM ET on October 4, 2019, each individual must register on Yello. Providing your GitHub and LinkedIn account information and resume is optional, but if you would like to be considered for an internship or recent college graduate position at PayPal, this information is required.
- Register on DevPost: Prior to the start of the Competition and no later than 12:00m ET on October 4, 2019, Eligible individuals or teams of eligible individuals may register by visiting the DevPost site and following all links and instructions to complete registration (including providing all required information). You may register as an individual or a team of up to five (5) members.
- Sign up for GitHub: Prior to the start of the Competition, at least 1 individual must sign up for an account on GitHub if they do not already have an account.
No purchase necessary. Subject to Terms & Conditions. Participation limited to the first 100 eligible individuals to register and show day of the event.
PayPal Sr. Legal Counsel
Braintree Software Engineering Manager
Venmo Sr. Cloud & Infrastructure Architect
Venmo Director of Products
PayPal Lead Risk Analyst
Braintree Sr. Engineering Manager
We want your idea to be creative and original and leverage our theme "financial empowerment for all".
How complete is your solution?
How is your idea going to disrupt the market? Will it impact merchants? Consumers? or both?
Can this idea be implemented in the real world? How will users interact with gain information from the application?
Quality of Idea
Can you clearly state your idea and solve it? Includes the creativity and originality of the idea while leveraging the theme "financial empowerment for all"
Is your idea revolutionary and out of the box?